Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Dark Knight Construction halted  (Read 3181 times)

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Spunk: 11
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
Dark Knight Construction halted
« on: February 20, 2008, 11:14:57 PM »

Don't worry not Great Adventure

http://blog.masslive.com/breakingnews/2008/02/construction_of_new_roller_coa.html

Construction of new roller coaster halted
Posted by The Republican Newsroom February 20, 2008 19:50PM

By DAVID BERGENGREN
dbergengren@repub.com

AGAWAM - Building Inspector Dominic Urbinati issued a stop work order today on Six Flags New England's $7 million "Dark Knight" indoor roller coaster project.

"The building is all framed and up," said Urbinati, who called the work done so far "unlawful work without permits."

Without the proper construction documents, Urbinati said there was no way he can ensure the project meets state building codes, including safety requirements for fire-suppression systems and easily accessible exits.

"The bottom line is they don't have a building permit," Zoning Board of Appeals member Gary E. Suffriti said.

"There's going to be hundreds of people on that ride," board member James C. Marmo said. "Heaven forbid there's a fire in there." The zoning board signed off on the project last week, granting a height variance contingent on Six Flags meeting all state and local structural and safety codes for the approximately 70-foot-tall building.

Responding to a tip, Suffriti and Marmo took a look at the construction site last Friday.

"I was floored, I'll be quite honest with you," Suffriti said. "This building has been being built. It had to have been being built for a couple of months."

During that time, Six Flags had been seeking the height variance, required because the proposed building at the park's Main Street site exceeds the city's height limit of 45 feet in a Business B Zone.

"This is a huge, huge building. It isn't a little shed," Urbinati said. "While they were going before the board of appeals, it appears they were building this building."

Asked why construction proceeded without a building permit, Six Flags public relations manager Melissa M. Pinkerton said, "We're working closely with the town so that all parties will be satisfied."

Six Flags officials plan to meet on March 5 with officials from the state Department of Public Safety "to review the entire ride," Pinkerton said.

"I can assure you that safety is our No. 1 priority," she said. "We will absolutely have everything in place to operate this ride in a safe manner."

As for construction documents, Pinkerton said, "We have submitted the initial documents. We are making some revisions, and we are in the process of resubmitting them (to the building inspector)."

"They have to stop work," Urbinati said, "until they have satisfied the Massachusetts state building code in my eyes."

The zoning board will meet Friday at 8:30 a.m. at City Hall "to see what (we) want to do about this," Suffriti said. One option could be to rescind last week's height variance approval, he said.

The indoor roller coaster ride is being designed to evoke a Gotham City caught up in battle between Batman and The Joker.

"We are still aiming for the Memorial Day weekend opening," Pinkerton said.
Yo

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Spunk: 22
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
Re: Dark Knight Construction halted
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 12:15:39 AM »
I guess SFNE thought they would be able to get away with that.  OOPS!
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
  • Spunk: 20
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 07:06:34 AM »
Something tells me relationships with local pols might have been better were it not for the parking situation up there, and the backfire that happened after the ordinance requiring a permit to allow parking in one's own business, yard, etc....

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Spunk: 15
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 07:24:24 AM »
They didn't get "tipped" off about this going on.  There is no way they didn't know all of that was going on for all this time.  Lets see, huge steel structure going up on a major road in the front of the park, truckloads of massive steel arriving daily and don't forget all of the noise.  I agree.  This is 100% politics at play.  They burned them and now its their turn to burn them back.

Way to go Dan Snyder.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 04:28:19 PM »
More on this.

Very interesting, if somewhat biased, read:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2008/02/21/update-six-flagging-8/

Offline SilverBullet

• Congo Rapids
  • Spunk: 5
  • Videos are teh shiz.
    • Theme Park Central
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 04:51:40 PM »
Oh man.

That's so weird.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 06:53:26 PM »

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Spunk: 10
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 11:15:34 PM »
Queen to B5, Check...:(
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 05:53:05 AM »

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 06:37:13 AM »
The next to last paragraphs of this article:

http://www.masslive.com/metrowest/republican/index.ssf?/base/news-12/1203927687284920.xml&coll=1

probably have a LOT to do with this.

Tomorrow in Agawam, the City Council Ordinance and Zoning Subcommittees will meet jointly to discuss parking issues near Six Flags New England on Main Street.

The panels will meet at 6:30 p.m. in the library....

« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 06:41:35 AM by GADVwow »

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 05:29:54 AM »