Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Astroland Update, Deal Reached!  (Read 763 times)

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Spunk: 10
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
Astroland Update, Deal Reached!
« on: October 24, 2007, 05:56:36 PM »
Good news for Coney Island fans - Astroland has gotten a reprieve.

When the beloved amusement park shut down its rides for the season on Labor Day, it looked as if it would never reopen. The beachfront attraction is slated to be torn down under a $2 billion makeover of the area planned by developer Thor Equities.

But under a deal announced today, Thor will extend the attractions lease - meaning Astroland will reopen next March 18 for one last season.

"Astroland is very pleased that its 300 employees will continue to have jobs, and we want to thank our many supporters and fans who worked so hard to keep Astroland open," said Carol Albert, whose family owns the amusement park.

The Alberts received $30 million in a deal with Thor for the 3.1-acre stretch off the boardwalk. But Albert wanted to squeeze in one  last season for the park and its  employees.

Thor earlier reached deals with eight boardwalk vendors to extend their leases for one last season.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007/10/24/2007-10-24_astroland_to_open_for_one_last_season.html?ref=rss
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline CycloneMan

• Houdini's Great Escape
  • Spunk: 13
  • Great Adventure where you're part of the fun!
    • North East Coasters
Re: Astroland Update, Deal Reached!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 06:07:36 PM »
I was about to post this you jerk :P . Anyway, I'm kind of happy they will reopen...but I was also thrilled when I heard they were shutting down, but what ever! I'm so sure all those employees are happy to be going back to Asstroland ::).

Maybe I'll go back, but into rides department (legaly) this time....

-Dainan "Nah" Rafferty

Coaster Count: 255